The Australian Celtic Music Awards evening is held each May during the Australian Celtic Music Festival weekend. This year (2017) Siobhan was nominated in many categories and was delighted to win the “Female Artist of the Year” and for her “Entwined” album producers, Ben Heneghan and Ian Lawson, to receive the award for “Producers of the Year”. She was also a finalist in the “Best Celtic Album” (for “Entwined”), and “Best Celtic Song” (for both “The Parting Glass” and “Dance of the Leaves”).
Siobhan spent the Easter weekend performing at the National Folk Festival in Canberra. After being invited to perform at the festival launch a couple of months previously, she was delighted to be asked to perfom in the Opening Concert in the Budawang (biggest venue of the festival). She also performed solo concerts at the Budawang, Trocadero and The Lyric – all really good venues.
Here is a sketch of Siobhan performing at the festival by talented artist Janet Hayes.
The festival was very successful for Siobhan. She had almost full houses, standing ovations and fantastic CD sales. She was also mentioned in a poem written by Rowan McKeon.
National FF 2017
Whoosh! What was that…went by…
Walking out by Lyric, Scrumpy and Majestic
Another Thursday Opening Concert ringing
In my ears. I’m home again! Or did I ever…
Leave? The only clue’s the whoosh!
The year made as it flashed away behind
Leaving me with its expiring expectations,
Jaded judgements fading fast as the Muse
Picks me up with her rhythms and her rhymes
And lifts my spirit ‘loft to float
In the safety of the harmony vibrating here.
Still, it takes a while to let go
The ties that hold me down.
White male poets reciting dead men’s words, again.
Strummed guitars, and those white males, again.
But then Siobhan entwines a silver thread
Around my heart… and pulls…
Jane lays waste to all my expectations.
David rocks me off my seat with words.
And Lenno lifts me to Olympian heights
Where ancient muses seek out my soul,
Tragedy holds hands with farce,
Draws me through some mountain pass
To aargh! An ambush! A woman’s heart
And other body parts…
Waiting, to catch this white male mounting
His Anglo Celtic platform yet again
To cheering crowds his hat to doff
It’s Sandy, and she’s knocked my socks right off.
- November Notes! 4th December 2018
- What I’ve been up to! 24th August 2018
- Excalibur IV 10th November 2017
- Euro Tour 2017 12th September 2017
- Australian Celtic Music Awards 15th May 2017
- National Folk Festival 2017 22nd April 2017
- Siobhan – One of the New Ambassadors of Celtic Music 26th March 2017
- New Official Video Released 24th March 2017
- Girl of the World Success! 21st March 2017
- Girl of the World ~ at the 2017 Adeaide Fringe 10th January 2017
- EXCALIBUR the Celtic Rock Opera 29th December 2016
- BBC TV Songs of Praise! 28th October 2016
- Festival Interceltique de Lorient 23rd August 2016
- ENTWINED – Siobhan’s New Album 29th May 2016
- New Magical Winter Song! 20th December 2015
- Celtic Roots European Tour 20th October 2015
- Success in Siberia! 27th February 2015
- Cap’taine Kid 23rd December 2014
- Australian Celtic Music Awards 22nd June 2014
- Tristan & Yseult ~ The French Project! 21st March 2014